Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 03:11:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time of Day  (Read 7476 times)
atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« on: March 30, 2005, 04:03:58 PM »

how does time work in the game exactly?  because it always seems to be the same time of day (like 3pm or something?) i never really payed attention to it in the OC because it never seemed to matter.  ie, no one seemed to ever sleep, but that is highly unrealistic, and always bothered me in just about every video game.  plus, being a thief fan from my PnP paper days i've always felt that the most enjoyable part of being a thief, being stealing stuff, becomes an overlooked aspect.  i doubt any skullduggery type character will be conducting his or her business during daylight hours.  and another thing, how come no one (npc) seems to be carrying anything when i try to pickpocket?  sure, maybe the guards dont carry $ around, but everyone i tried was broke, even people who were giving me or taking my money.

so in conclusion, some change in time of day, and stuff to steal  Smiley

Feudalism:  Its your Count that votes.
Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 04:17:46 PM »

everyone is carring eq that you can steal ... they are not carring money though ... that is something that we are having to work on ... we will look into the time of day .. although the game server should be keeping track of that ... its on the list now ...
Thanks for the feedback ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 09:20:02 PM »

The time of day definitely changes and is the standard 2 minutes per hour.  Now the date might not be changing, which needs to be looked at.

Not everyone has inventory either.  I dropped in standard commoners to a couple of areas to add some life but they are not modified.  If you kill one you get a standard treasure roll but they won't have anything to pickpocket.  As for NPC like guards and merchants, they may or may not have items that you can steal.

Adjusting this sort of thing for rogue players is on my list, I'm just not exactly sure what needs to be done.  For one thing, the way NWN handles pickpocketing is ridiculous and there doesn't seem to be a consistent reaction if your skill check fails, which never seems to happen.

I love rogues so I definitely want this to be an interesting place for rogues and I want the world to be conducive to having rogues in your party.

Let me know what you think needs to change or be added to this end.  I'll work on the quick fix of dropping in customized commoners Thursday to be included in the update Friday.

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:07:10 PM »

tried stealing more stuff Smiley so far seems ok, if you fail but are not detected, they dont attack, but if you are detected they turn red, but dont really attack, which is okay in a way too, because lets face it, not everyone is a rageaholic.  there was mention of a jail system, would be cool if they called the guards (well, not cool for me) but no idea the degree of difficulty for that.  at this point, most people have at least gold to steal, which makes sence, as its probably harder to steal an item out of someones backpack or something (i wouldnt know)  Also, is the result any way related to the pp roll, ie do i get a better loot from a better roll?

Feudalism:  Its your Count that votes.
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »

For the sake of expediency I simply added gold to the NPC spawns, with nobles and merchants having more than commoners.  What you can pickpocket are those items they happen to be carrying, so long as they are not equiped.  It wouldn't make sense if you could steal a sword out of their hands.  So far I haven't managed to steal anything other than coins and potions.  

As for a role to determine how much you steal, the AI takes care of that and I haven't dug into it to see how it works.  I seem to get 1 coin most of the time.  The AI really sucks when it comes to dealing with thieves.  I have seen it cause the NPC to attack when a thievery attempt was detected but not all that often.  In my opinion it should do so everytime or they should shout to the guards, which never seems to happen.  

I intend to fix it in the future, which hopefully means I can download an AI script from the vault.  I'll also look into creating some jail scripts so if you get caught the guards can haul you away.  Assuming I can make the first part work.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS