Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 02:54:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: true sight  (Read 26212 times)
atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« on: October 10, 2005, 08:08:48 PM »

I’ve stumbled across some items that give permanent true sight.  Needless to say, I am very against this, and I don’t feel my opinion is in the least bit biased Smiley  One, it totally nerfs any stealth build and two it makes the spell completely pointless as well as skill points in listen, c'ept for the affinity bonus.  Also, how many npcs immediately caste sanctuary or invis when being attacked?    I understand as far as dragons and other powerful npc’s but as far as it being a regular item I must protest.  (I actually feel the same way about perm haste items, however walking around at normal speed in this size of a world would be torture.)

Feudalism:  Its your Count that votes.
Drakaen
Global Moderator
Hobgoblin

DM Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »

That is a good segestion... the haste part can be a problem with the benafits... maybe find a way to increase only walking speed... nothing else

From Hell I Rise To Earth I Rule
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 08:22:44 PM »

Tell me where and what and I will get rid of it.

By the way, most people will have to run at normal speed since I think only one item has haste on it now. *S*

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:00:27 PM »

certain paladins have the true sight.  as far as haste, there's expedious retreat, and monks natural speed increase, so perma those items might not make going anywhere a bore.  plus limiting haste items might make potions of speed more valuable.  (although, from a gameplay pov, going from haste to no haste really sucks Smiley  )

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:44:12 AM »

Quote from: "atebatsam"
certain paladins have the true sight.  as far as haste, there's expedious retreat, and monks natural speed increase, so perma those items might not make going anywhere a bore.  plus limiting haste items might make potions of speed more valuable.  (although, from a gameplay pov, going from haste to no haste really sucks Smiley  )

certain Paladins DO have true sight ... but trust me when I say it is removable by a rogue .... o and I guess you found out then that certain paladins will attack you when they percieve you ... so you must be evil .... *evil laugh*

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:49:41 AM »

right, its removable, and thats the problem Smiley  i think perm true sight is way too powerful an item for pcs.  if i wanted things like that, i'd just play through HoU.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 11:05:49 AM »

right, its removable, and thats the problem Smiley  i think perm true sight is way too powerful an item for pcs.  if i wanted things like that, i'd just play through HoU.

ah I see ... I will change it so that they can cast it rather than have perm ...

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:01:51 AM »

Quote from: "Podilarius"

ah I see ... I will change it so that they can cast it rather than have perm ...

I would just make the item non-droppable.  I doubt they will ever use the spell if you give it to them.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:50:57 AM »

Quote from: "perk31"

I would just make the item non-droppable.  I doubt they will ever use the spell if you give it to them.

then I guess it would be more for the PC ... we could do the same thing with haste ... instead of perm it could be casted.

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 04:15:55 PM »

then I guess it would be more for the PC ... we could do the same thing with haste ... instead of perm it could be casted.

Then why have mages?

Personally I don't like items that add that type of stuff.

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 06:08:40 PM »

Then why have mages?

i have to agree

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 09:53:49 PM »

Then why have mages?

i have to agree

so then we are to have a non-magical world then (aside from what mages, clerics, paladins, sorcs, and others can do based on class)? This means we need to remove all things that add fire, ice, electrical, and magical damage as there are classes that can add these types of damages to weapons. No haste, true sight, regen, and others as well for any eq. If you include any of these .. then why have any of these classes that can add this type of extra damage.
I will agree that perm anything needs to go (bad thinking om my part)... make them rest to get the ability back.
If you still wish it, I will remove all true sight and haste items, either casted or perm, from the game.

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 08:57:42 AM »

well this is turning into more than i expected.  Weapons that add 1d6 fire dmg arent unreasonable.  perhaps i should just list all the items that give abilities i disagree with:  

The epic swordsman/archer/brawler belts that give 20 something resist to slashing/piercing/bludg.  if you have one of each of these and switch them up properly, well you get the idea.  Also any item that gives 20 dmg reduction, or elemental resist.  anything over 10 imo starts getting too high.

Perm True sight.  because a lvl one char with true sight can see a lvl 40 rogue with a modified hide and move silent score of way over 100, and also enemy spelcasters love to case invis and sanctuary.

I'm not really sure how i feel about regen, but i'm going to say that combined it shouldnt be more than around 10, so maybe each item should have a max of 5 or so.

Its fine that NPCs have these items, especially if its the easiest way to give them an ability that you want, i'm just against them dropping it.  I know this kinda goes against the NPCs should drop what they are carrying, but i can live with, 'the pally casted it before i got there, or a really strong mage casted it so it lasts for a really long time' or something, or in the case of the lizard folk or dragons and others, its just a supernatural ability.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 12:57:36 PM »

well this is turning into more than i expected.  Weapons that add 1d6 fire dmg arent unreasonable.  perhaps i should just list all the items that give abilities i disagree with:  

The epic swordsman/archer/brawler belts that give 20 something resist to slashing/piercing/bludg.  if you have one of each of these and switch them up properly, well you get the idea.  Also any item that gives 20 dmg reduction, or elemental resist.  anything over 10 imo starts getting too high.

Perm True sight.  because a lvl one char with true sight can see a lvl 40 rogue with a modified hide and move silent score of way over 100, and also enemy spelcasters love to case invis and sanctuary.

I'm not really sure how i feel about regen, but i'm going to say that combined it shouldnt be more than around 10, so maybe each item should have a max of 5 or so.

Its fine that NPCs have these items, especially if its the easiest way to give them an ability that you want, i'm just against them dropping it.  I know this kinda goes against the NPCs should drop what they are carrying, but i can live with, 'the pally casted it before i got there, or a really strong mage casted it so it lasts for a really long time' or something, or in the case of the lizard folk or dragons and others, its just a supernatural ability.

the easiest way is to make and give them a skin that has the properties that we want. I wanted to have an item that PCs could kill for that had true sight for those seeking it. I should not have made it perm. I think one cast per day is not a bad thing. Please remember that this is all the helm does. There is no other modifier (I don't think).
anyway ...

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 07:47:23 PM »

right, but i still think true sight, when ALWAYS on is too powerful, especially since like every char i play/make focuses on stealth in some way Tongue

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS