Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 12:41:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff I noticed and some suggestions about them  (Read 10353 times)
ReiskaR
phpBB Developers
Waterdeep Guard

« on: October 02, 2005, 02:09:52 PM »

Testing done with a lev 10 fighter. (These are of course only my humble opinions, despite the "a-matter-of-fact" style of the text).

Kohlis:

-gold too easy to get, the main reason being the merchants in the marketplace that drop ~50k-80k worth of stuff if you kill them all. I think they should wear the equipment alright since they sell magical items, but they should be tougher to kill, or spawn a group of guards if attacked or something. They also spawn too quickly. Sometimes the weaker ones reappears while you're killing the toughest one. I made 2,5 M (2500 000 gp) in one evening in Kohlis.

-town guard is too weak. I think the city watchment are ok being as easy to kill as they are (it was fun hunting them down on the lower levels) but there should be tougher (higher ranking) guardsmen patrolling around also. You could think of them as sergeants or superiors for them greenhorn watchmen. The +1 clubs that the watchmen carry (worth 1k in the right place) might be also too easy cash.

-the magic shop merchant is too easy to kill compared to the stuff that he drops (again, maybe spawn a guard, could be some golem or other magical creature)

-the tailorshops pay too much for stuff that they shouldn't be buying in the first place, also the bookstore (they buy almost anything or the same as a general store).

-you can buy a +4 full plate and a chainmail of speed from the Halls of Hilmer, the master armourer. They're either too powerful to be in the shop, or too cheap (80k for the speed-chain). Maybe instead of the magical stuff, he could offer fine quality armour that would have a better AC than normal gear. I think there was an example of this kind of full plate in the CEP package. This could be arranged so that there was only basic stuff in stock and the more finer armours would have to be ordered separately. Again it should be expensive enough so that players could compete with him with the pricing.

Generic stuff:

-containers spawn almost instantly. This applies to merchants' chests and the chests in the Hobgoglins' caves for example. (I think it's the same everywhere) So, you could bash the chests forever and get loads of gold in the progress.

-mushrooms in the caves spawn too quicly (again applies to hobgoblin caves near the dwarven city and the caves near the halfling village). When the spot of mushrooms is depleted it takes only a few seconds for a new one to appear.

-when you go mining outside the dwarven city's gates, you get iron even though the rock's tag says gold, silver or something else.
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 04:59:34 PM »

Thanks for info.  Kohlis still needs some work we just haven't gotten around to it.  I did clean out the merchant inventories but I must have missed the two you mention so we'll look at that this week, I hope.  The same goes for the inventory merchants are carrying/dropping which hasn't been adjusted yet and merchant guards are definitely on the list.

Expanded city guards are on the list as well.  The watchmen in kohlis were intended to be weak though they were not supposed to have a +1 club and the tougher guards are comparable with the other city militias.  Kohlis has the watchmen due to the size of the city.

Most merchants will buy anything.  I originally had them buying only what they specialized in but I found it annoying having to travel between shops to sell your loot.  We can change this though if the community feels its better.  Eventually the book stores will have a real purpose and won't buy anything but books.

Most containers should refill every 3 minutes and if you bash them should respawn every 5 minutes.  I may have only done the chests though.  I'm not sure what the respawn for mushrooms are.  I thought it was 5 minutes so I will check on that as well.

The mining is still being worked on, which is why all those rocks are readily available at Kel'Nuzad.

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:11:17 PM »

Quote from: "ReiskaR"
-when you go mining outside the dwarven city's gates, you get iron even though the rock's tag says gold, silver or something else.

I checked out the mining scripts and what you are seeing is by design.  Basically, once you have made a successful mining check you are subjected to another skill check against your mining skill to see if you are capable of extracting the pure mineral from the embedded rock.  This is the check you are failing which gives you iron ore in place of all the other minerals.

It makes sense but the skill checks are quite high so maybe this should be adjusted.  I'll post about this in the general section.

ReiskaR
phpBB Developers
Waterdeep Guard

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 04:51:15 PM »

Now that I think of it, it does make sense. Also pretty neat to see that there is gold to be mined, knowing that you're not skilled enough to get it out, yet. I can feel the greed rising...  Cheesy
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:33:43 AM »

-mushrooms in the caves spawn too quicly (again applies to hobgoblin caves near the dwarven city and the caves near the halfling village). When the spot of mushrooms is depleted it takes only a few seconds for a new one to appear.

Mushrooms are working correctly.  There is a short "respawn rate" for mushroom patches, which I believe was two minutes in the script, and a randomly generated number of mushrooms that can be harvested when the patch spawns.  

If we feel like the respawn rate is to fast I can slow it down some.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 09:10:47 AM »

Quote from: "perk31"

Mushrooms are working correctly.  There is a short "respawn rate" for mushroom patches, which I believe was two minutes in the script, and a randomly generated number of mushrooms that can be harvested when the patch spawns.  

If we feel like the respawn rate is to fast I can slow it down some.

i think 2 minutes is to short ... if should be like 10 to 20 minutes ... i think treasures should be the same way ... or anything really that has a defined amount ... like fish are plentiful ... but it takes time to 'grow' a mushroom in the same place ... mining materials shouild take even longer as they really don't 'grow' or anything ... to that you could say after 'searching' in the same place you find more ... but however everyone feels ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 02:02:31 PM »

Yes but you need the mushrooms to create something else in the system.  I would assume a lot of time was devoted to testing and making sure the balance was right in the system.  Its hard for me to say that something like this should be adjusted when I haven't devoted any time to it.

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 09:17:54 PM »

plus there's a line between being realistic and keeping the game playable.  there should be some wait to the respawn time, but not so much that it becomes totally unfeasable to develop any of the related skills.  people only have so much time on their hands.  so far i really havent had any problems with the crafting, cept that i'm still no good at it.

Feudalism:  Its your Count that votes.
Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 08:40:14 AM »

Quote from: "atebatsam"
plus there's a line between being realistic and keeping the game playable.  there should be some wait to the respawn time, but not so much that it becomes totally unfeasable to develop any of the related skills.  people only have so much time on their hands.  so far i really havent had any problems with the crafting, cept that i'm still no good at it.

my thinking is to keep is playable and realistic at the same time ... If you have mushrooms in patches in the mod .. then one you harvested shrums in one area then you move on to another ... if you stay in the same area and wait for them to 'grow' then it should take longer that 2 mins (4 mins game time) for them to do this. I think that if you stay in the area then it should take overnite for them to grow ... which is 12 hours real time right? ... this would encourage PCs to explore the mod looking for more shrums and other crafting items ...
my 2 cents anyway ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:07:49 AM »

What we really need is someone to take over the crafting system!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS