Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 20, 2024, 01:19:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The guardian of the mountain  (Read 6081 times)
ReiskaR
phpBB Developers
Waterdeep Guard

« on: September 20, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »

People are always killing the dragons, so this time things could be a bit different.

A village by a snowy mountain welcomes the adventurers, after all there aren't that many travellers in this desolate location. From the townsfolk they learn that the lair of the mountain's guardian lies nearby. The players are warned not to disturb the guardian, after all it also guards the village.

If the PCs convince the village leader of their good intentions she will tell them that the guardian is a very old, wise golden dragon that has been living in peace with the villagers for as long as people can remember. The people bring food to the dragon and do odd jobs in change of protection and magics that make the crop grow/cure people/something similar. If the PCs want to go speak with the guardian, the leader will be reluctant at first, of course. Maybe a really good persuasion roll or a short quest to benefit the villagers might do the trick. If the players start trouble she might even call the dragon for help. There might be a magical horn or a bell in a tower in the center of the village for this purpose.

If the PCs befriend the leader, they will be introduced to the dragon. Since she is very old, she will have information on some special places and quests that are otherwise unattainable. Or, she might have information that might help in doing some of the existing ones. She could have small quests for the PCs if they act respectful and civilized. They could befriend the dragon by doing these tasks. After all, the villagers do odd jobs for the dragon so why not the PCs. The reward could be an easier way to some really hard to reach place (quest) via teleportation from the dragon. An alternate reward could be a random hint for a few selected quests after each completed small quest. Or maybe there's a necklace or some other piece of jewelery that the dragon offers as a mark of her friendship. (Having this item might have some a negative impact in certain places)

If the PCs want to kill the dragon (they might think that all dragons are evil and to be slain no matter what, etc.) and if they succeed (she'd be very, very hard to kill) they'd sack a nice treasure and be attacked by the villagers on their way down from the mountain. The village warriors might be a bit tough also since the dragon has been helping them with magics after all (better weapons or just tougher people).

Also, not listening to the village leader about not disturbing the guardian in the first place would get the PCs eaten.

-ReiskaR
Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 10:05:21 PM »

a very nice suggestion ... I would like to see this one done ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 07:26:23 AM »

I'm willing to pick this up once I finish with the Nepeth murder.  Which at this rate is going to be about a month from now!  

I'll move this to dev when I'm ready if no one else starts it first.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS