Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 01:57:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster & Quest XP rewards  (Read 11399 times)
Kepuli
Gelatinous Cube

« on: September 12, 2005, 02:05:22 AM »

Monsters:
Killing "regular" monsters should have a limit for the max XP gained by killing them, preferrably a fairly low limit, but a really hard unique "boss" monster should have big XP rewards.  I still remember how we had a party of 7 on a server once, and we fought a single ogre in a forest (it was a unique creature). It was really difficult. After we were getting low on healing supplies, the only option was to run and shoot arrows at it. Finally, as the huge corpse hit the ground, the XP reward was 30. "Nice..." It was all just a waste of time. If there's a monster that is dangerous and takes long to kill, it should also give a reasonable XP reward to make it worth while.

Quests:
Quests should give more XP. Most players will choose chopping meat instead of completing quests, because they know that usually quests are not worth doing. Higher XP reward would make the quests more appealing.
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:31:54 AM »

I think our xp is fairly good considering we are trying to balance the world for RP and hak n slash.  Really low xp for kills like some RP servers hand out is not fun to people who don't enjoy RP.

I may be wrong on these numbers but here is what the average xp is based upon cr of the creature and a single PC.

Effortless = 7xp
Easy = 15xp
Moderate = 50xp
Challenging = 100xp
Very difficult = 150xp
Overpowering = 200xp
Impossible = 350xp

As for quests, the xp ranges from 50 to several thousand.  I consider XP gained during combat required to complete a quest as part of the quest xp.

Kepuli
Gelatinous Cube

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 10:45:35 AM »

BUT, my point was, that players will be in combat, whether they are on a quest or not. So completing the quest would add only a small amount of XP to the kills that they would do anyway.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 12:18:46 PM »

Well I don't mind giving out more xp it will just cause people to level faster.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »

it will also promote questing ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 07:13:56 AM »

Quote from: "Podilarius"
it will also promote questing ...

Which is a good thing.

So how much xp for the simple quests that are in the module right now?

Kepuli
Gelatinous Cube

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 08:42:16 AM »

I suggest that the minimum would be 200 XP for any quest (except if the quest is risk-free and can be completed quickly, like in one minute real time). For those that are dangerous (risk of death) and take more time and lots of travelling, the minimum could be 1000 XP or more.

As an example, the quest where the halfling is captured by bugbears, that could give 200-300 XP (it gives 50 at the moment, correct me if I'm wrong)
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »

Quote from: "Kepuli"
I suggest that the minimum would be 200 XP for any quest (except if the quest is risk-free and can be completed quickly, like in one minute real time). For those that are dangerous (risk of death) and take more time and lots of travelling, the minimum could be 1000 XP or more.

As an example, the quest where the halfling is captured by bugbears, that could give 200-300 XP (it gives 50 at the moment, correct me if I'm wrong)

I do believe that is correct.  So 200 xp for fairly direct quests.  The danger level would depend on your player level.  Fedex quests, like find a wagon axle for me, would be lower than that.

Aragorn

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »

This XP Scheme has its good points and bad point's i think maybe in futher level's the xp should be raised, but only when you achive a new level x0.5 ratio on the xp when you reach your next level from 1 - 40
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 08:14:14 AM »

Quote from: "Aragorn"
This XP Scheme has its good points and bad point's i think maybe in futher level's the xp should be raised, but only when you achive a new level x0.5 ratio on the xp when you reach your next level from 1 - 40

First Welcome to CA Aragorn.

Second I'm not sure I understand your suggestion, but I believe I can only adjust XP module wide which is a sliding scale percentage adjustment.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS