Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 10:46:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A small detail: cursed dagger  (Read 11365 times)
Kepuli
Gelatinous Cube

« on: September 07, 2005, 10:16:07 PM »

I've seen similar things in other RPGs, but not yet in NWN.

The player notices a magical pool. When it's used, a conversation begins. It tells the player that there's a dagger on the bottom of the pool, and it looks beautiful, well crafted and powerful (=tempting). There are two options in the conversation: take it or leave it alone.

If the player gets greed and takes it, the dagger will be equipped instantly, and the cursed dagger stucks into the adventurer's hand! (possibly add a will saving throw?) The dagger cannot be unequipped until someone casts a remove curse spell on the character.

The item itself should be harmful to have, but also tempting to use. It could give the player decreased ability scores and/or saving throws, but the weapon would still possess usable powers (enemy gets cursed on hit, for example). Therefore some players would consider using the item at least for a while, instead of running to a cleric and ask for help. A cursed item knows how to manipulate its victims...

After a remove curse spell is casted, the dagger will be destroyed, or if you want, it would get unequipped, but re-equipping it would make it stuck again.
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:43:49 AM »

I like it.  I'll see if I can make a weapon that can not be unequipped.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 09:01:03 AM »

I like it as well ... it sounds really good ... let me know if you need any help ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 02:35:04 PM »

Cursed items can not be dropped from your inventory but they can be unequipped.  Not sure how to work around that.  I guess we would use some tag based scripting so that every time it was unequipped it would requip iteself.  The problem would be how do we get rid of it once the curse is lifted.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 03:52:37 PM »

i like for it to be unquiped when the curse is removed ... so that if you want you can use the weapon again, taking the penalty ... the uncurse allows you to unequip it ... it might have to be a user defined script that forces an unquip once the curse is lifted ...

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 07:15:37 AM »

Quote from: "Podilarius"
i like for it to be unquiped when the curse is removed ... so that if you want you can use the weapon again, taking the penalty ... the uncurse allows you to unequip it ... it might have to be a user defined script that forces an unquip once the curse is lifted ...

Upon lifting the curse, is the blade then useable without the negative penalties and if so does it keep its positive attributes?

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 10:32:38 AM »

Quote from: "perk31"
Quote from: "Podilarius"

Upon lifting the curse, is the blade then useable without the negative penalties and if so does it keep its positive attributes?

no when the weapon is uncursed ... it will be unwielded and when they equip it again ... the negative effect will be applied ...

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 05:07:49 PM »

Except the standard uncurse doesn't function that way since cursed items can be unequiped at will they simply can't be dropped.  I believe the std uncurse will remove the cursed flag the item allowing it to be dropped.

So we are talking about a complete custom code job to make it work.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:16:16 AM »

Man ... I was not in my right mind. If uncursed, destroy the item. Make them work to get it again if they really want it again. There has to be a check every so often that we can do so that if unequipped at the next check it is equipped. anyway, old topic but still valid if anyone is going to build anymore.

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »

You could simply add it to the unequip script of the weapon so everytime they removed the weapon it would reequip.  I'm not a D&D player but I think cursed items are always cursed and having uncurse cast only allows the removal of the item from your hand.

We are all waiting on you put up an NWN2 server!!!!!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS