Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 03:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Thieves Guild (For Discussion)  (Read 16669 times)
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« on: May 09, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »

Many rumors abound of a secret society of thieves operating in Lemnos known as the Silent Knives.  As with most rumors no evidence has ever been found to support such a claim and if any such entity existed it would certainly be hunted into extinction by the military and various city militias.  

One may ask about the various claims from citizens of cut purses, and thugs, and protection contracts extorted from fat merchants by this society.  A thorough investigation has been conducted for each incident and to date no single piece of solid evidence has ever been found to support such claims.  Furthermore, many inconsistencies abound in these claims and investigators often find the claimants were mentally impaired from various intoxicating substances at the time these supposed acts were perpetrated.

The citizens of Lemnos can rest peacefully knowing that criminals of all types are pursued relentless and meet with the fair justice they deserve.  If any such organization existed, they would certainly call attention to themselves in short order and thereby meet with the fate appropriate for such people.  Criminals of all types should consider yourselves warned.

I WOULDN'T MIND SOME INPUT ON THE NAME OF THIS GUILD AS WELL

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 06:37:30 PM »

I've moved this post from the DM forum so everyone can take part in the discussion.

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 02:12:34 PM »

I'm ready to start on this guild and get it placed in the game somewhere.  I'd like to know how everyone thinks it should be setup.

1.  Membership restrictions based on class or skills?  Skills might be better but high enough that joe fighter with a few points in lockpick won't cut the mustard.

2.  Location   I was thinking of either Kohlis or Churberg

3.  Special items that should be available in the guild store.

4.  Name of the guild if you don't like Silent Knives  (I'm not really fond of it)

Anything else you want to see or just how it should operate in the future.  I'd like to see a lot of thief oriented quests and such in the guild.

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »

Quote from: "perk31"
I'm ready to start on this guild and get it placed in the game somewhere.  I'd like to know how everyone thinks it should be setup.

1.  Membership restrictions based on class or skills?  Skills might be better but high enough that joe fighter with a few points in lockpick won't cut the mustard.

2.  Location   I was thinking of either Kohlis or Churberg

3.  Special items that should be available in the guild store.

4.  Name of the guild if you don't like Silent Knives  (I'm not really fond of it)

Anything else you want to see or just how it should operate in the future.  I'd like to see a lot of thief oriented quests and such in the guild.

1.  Yes rogue and perhaps Chaotic ... or just not lawful

2. Kolis ... Bigger

3. Don't know ... perhaps throwing weapons?

4. don't have anything better ...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:53:02 PM »

as i understand it, its not going to be "Legitimate Bussinessman's Club" style, but more based on secrecy, so it should be limited to rogue style chars, ie joe fighter thats maybe more dex based so hes not clunking around in heavy armor that has more than a few ranks in hide, and move silently, which are the essential skills really.  normally these guys would be accompanying the real thieves as some back up muscle, so the locks and traps can be left to those better skilled.  But i still think the guild should be open to all classes, as this ties into the other post about the selectiveness of the guilds.  as far as alignment, i cant say for certain, but are rogues allowed to be lawful good now?  i know that was their only restiction (or thieves as they were called) in 2nd edition, but that seems like so long ago now... anyway, i digress, but i think lawful evil should be allowed as well.  in fact, the only align that should not be allowed is lawful good, for obvious reasons, but to make it exclude good characters would just make it seem like a clone of the chaos guild.  Perhaps later on the guild can be subdivided into an assassins(not limited to assassin class) or a more evil grouping.  as for items, traps, tools, poisons are all fun, and maybe alchemest fire and other enchancements to weapons (and maybe armor?)  ie black paint for +Hide?.  a fence would be interesting, as my character seems to find a lot of items in his possession that may have belonged to someone else, and so far the general stores seem to buy them back, but maybe that can be moved to the theives guild, i dunno, just a thought.  also items or potions that increase dex and skill levels, as well as some anti magic stuff, like helms of immunity to mind spells, etc.  As for names, i like Sorrow Men, named because the assassins always say i'm sorry before they kill their victim, and Equipt Anglers, meaning rich thieves in thieves cant, or at least in some versions  Cheesy

Feudalism:  Its your Count that votes.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 04:45:11 PM »

Well I actually had thought about a separate assassins guild but now I think I should limit the number of guilds.  I think the game will allow a lawful good rogue but maybe I haven't tried making one either.

So No lawful good but all other alignment possibilities and a check against the skills you listed?

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 04:54:32 PM »

personally I don't see the problem limiting  a certain guild by class or alignment and then having like 6 guilds or so. There is always going to be some that are more popular than others ... but the idea of a guild is so that like minded people come together to help one another ... well in the old days it was a way to train people in skills necessary for survival ... but still ... anything lawful in the theives guild doesn't make since ... since stealing is against the law ... so is PC killing ... I don't think there should be a all encompassing guild where anyone can join ... they need to make a choice and then stick with it or they can leave the guild (for a penalty or something) and join another one ...

If you don't segregate the guilds some how .. then why even have them ...

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »

This doesn't belong in this thread; however, I don't think we should have a bunch of guilds at the start.  When the player base grows then we can add other guilds but early on I'd rather have some activity in just a few guilds.

So for this guild I agree that it doesn't really make sense for a thieves guild to allow any lawful, but I don't see the problem with good.  Stealing is chaotic not evil.  Any objections?

Now the other question is how many guilds are we going to start with and what should the break down be?  Perhaps we don't need a thieves guild to start with.  Please comment on this in the other thread.
http://www.chaoticabyss.com/viewtopic.php?t=151

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 05:11:03 PM »

i have np with that .. neutral or chaotic ... just not lawful ... evil or good doesn't matter ...

perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2005, 05:55:04 PM »

What skill or class check should we use?

atebatsam
Dungeon Master

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 08:18:53 PM »

in the original campaign the thief training method was pretty good.  basically it allowed many ways to pass the test, by picking a lock, disable trap, pick pocket or bluff to get the item required to pass.  perhaps there can be a little test before being accepted into the guild.  but if its easier from your perspective just to check skill points, i think hide and move silently should have the most emphisis.

Feudalism:  Its your Count that votes.
Namfoodle
Dungeon Master

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 09:17:53 PM »

i don't knwo if anyone has said this yet but how about a test kinda like in the DnD movie. A test that would challege every skill a theive must have....pick pokect, lock pick, move silently, hide, etc...

If they pass they are transported to the guild and given a key to the guild.....Could even make the door to the test locked lol then they would have to pick it b4 they could even start the test.

In the Absence of Light, Darkness Prevails....
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 10:30:56 PM »

Great minds think alike!  I've planned on using a test all along I'm just not sure what it should test.  Perhaps testing everything is a good idea.

Namfoodle
Dungeon Master

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 11:21:14 PM »

I have seen some pretty kool test for Rogues..perhaps I could make a test for you and you could critique it?

I could have it done by tuesday

In the Absence of Light, Darkness Prevails....
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 10:41:07 AM »

The help would be most appreciated.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS