Welcome to ChaoticAbyss
May 19, 2024, 02:27:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to ChaoticAbyss!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: On Death & Dying  (Read 25111 times)
wurm657
Waterdeep Guard

« on: March 13, 2005, 05:21:19 AM »

Just wanted to get things rolling on the boards here, and this was a hot topic on the NWN board so my two cents:
 I agree with the others who have posted saying loss of level at death is a stopper, too harsh a penalty to make it worth playing.
 The standard NWN respawn penalty seems fine, but it may be a good idea to suspend that penalty for the 1st level or two. Any thoughts?
  The only other thing I wanted to bring up right now is: how does everyone feel about communicating OOC during the beginning of the Alpha? It may help to compare notes while playing so we can determine what to report as a bug. I love RP as much as anyone, but we are helping with an Alpha.
 Hoping to meet everyone online soon!
 -Scott

-Scott
Drakaen
Global Moderator
Hobgoblin

DM Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 11:49:06 AM »

well what i did was i got in party with the other person that was on and used that... while at the same time running an event with that person.. (maybe a start of a campaign but doubtful) but it wouldnt be to bad of an idea though some may get out of hand with it

From Hell I Rise To Earth I Rule
Shanara
Waterdeep Guard

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 12:56:40 PM »

I feel that free death the first level is a good idea.  The penalites should gradually increase the higher level you are, but losing a level is not a good idea. Just my feelings.

OOC while in testing doesn't bother me.  Since I really don't know anything about the history of this world rping is a little more difficult. Although I did have fun with the dragons   Cheesy , and what a cool character.  Can I get wings too?  Cheesy

Shanara

All is not as it seems
Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:06:11 PM »

Quote from: "Shanara"
I feel that free death the first level is a good idea.  The penalites should gradually increase the higher level you are, but losing a level is not a good idea. Just my feelings.

OOC while in testing doesn't bother me.  Since I really don't know anything about the history of this world rping is a little more difficult. Although I did have fun with the dragons   Cheesy , and what a cool character.  Can I get wings too?  Cheesy

I feel that in keeping with RPing and pseudo real life that dying should mean something. I don't think that you automatically loose a level on death but the penalty for death should be so that if you die enough times, you will loose a level. On death you loose a calculated amount of XP and I think you need to restart at a shrine or something religous to your alignment, class or guild.

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
Shanara
Waterdeep Guard

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 01:55:13 PM »

I agree that death  should mean something and loss of xp should go up the more you die and the higher level you are. This should be true even if a cleric raises you.  On another server,  if you respawn , you are taken to either a celestial plane or a demon plane depending on your alignment and then you have to portal back.  

They have a new system where the players corpse is still there and can be raised as an undead which makes for some unreal rping - it was such a shock and really creepy the first time I saw it. My character, being a cleric, nearly flipped out.

Shanara

All is not as it seems
perk31
Agilant Systems: The Smart Choice for IT
Drizzt

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 03:07:06 PM »

I agree with death meaning something and I think the penalty should increase as you gain higher levels.  In the last death system post everyone was against loosing a level, even after multiple deaths, so I'm all for capping the XP loss so you don't loose a level.  I like the idea of being able to raise a PC corpse as an undead.

I'm impartial about having it teleport you somewhere.  The question I have is if you respawn at a temple, do you have all of your gear with you, or do you have to go get it?  If you respawn on another plane and get to teleport back, do you teleport to a temple or where you died?

Drakaen
Global Moderator
Hobgoblin

DM Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 03:25:11 PM »

im glad u liked it.. but the avater is a lvl 5sorc. 15 RDD so u need 10 lvls of red dragon disiplne for it... it was kinda my first quest...

but on track i would like it to where you keep all your stuff but the gold that is lost is put where you die... but you should respwan somewhere else

Podilarius
Agilant Systems
Administrator
Prismatic Dragon

Master Diagnostician

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 05:39:29 PM »

Quote from: "Drakaen"

im glad u liked it.. but the avater is a lvl 5sorc. 15 RDD so u need 10 lvls of red dragon disiplne for it... it was kinda my first quest...

but on track i would like it to where you keep all your stuff but the gold that is lost is put where you die... but you should respwan somewhere else

When you die in real life ... you don't get to take stuff with you or at least as far as I know you don't. I know with all the spawing stuff and the clean up script running if you leave your stuff behind it will be cleaned when you leave the area ... and if we stopped the clean script from destroying what is there you might not be able to get back to it, unless you had help ... but I still think when you die you leave all your stuff and loose an amount of XP in accordance with your level. I also think that if you die enough times you SHOULD loose you a level as punishment for dieing so often. Another words ... don't die. I know this is a hot subject for a lot of PC's so the majority will win. So a polls are in order ... please fill them out to let us know...

If you don't like it ... Whatever! ... I do what I want ...
Check out my new project at www.abalisk.com.
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 08:43:46 PM »

I love polls!

My concern is that we not kill the fun of the world by going to hard core.  I want a world that strikes a good balance for everyone, which I think is a middle of the road approach to these questions.  I will say though, for those who support dropping equipment, that we should be able to drop the gear into a differnt bag and exclude that from the clean up script, or at least put a timer on it.  I don't think gear will be an issue, especially when you know where to find it. Cheesy

Drakaen
Global Moderator
Hobgoblin

DM Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 10:36:31 PM »

well... it would be kinda sad because if you lose "all" your equpment that would cause some to get mad just after 1 death...

Drakaen
Global Moderator
Hobgoblin

DM Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 12:49:03 AM »

here is the death scripts for a good PW that i play on... it limits to where you dont loss xp til lvl 3
http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewcodepost.html?post=1123759

wurm657
Waterdeep Guard

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 06:16:05 AM »

Just wanted to chime in real quick on two issues:
 First: I don't know to where to, but I think the idea of respawning somewhere other than where you died is a good idea. If your character is dead, it probably means you were in over your head. If you go back to the exact same spot you will still be in over your head. Therefore, one could find oneself in a situation where you're stuck!
 Second: I agree that some loss of gold is more than appropriate on death, but to loose gear may be too much. Yes, both gold and gear CAN be replaced. But some characters may be forced into poor RP to protect or replace expensive or unique gear. (an example: on another server I am playing a Paladin. As part of the character RP she donates much of her collected gold to charity, and gives away many expensive items to other player characters. A loss of items upon death would greatly restrict the ability to RP that aspect of the character)

-Scott
rogare b
Waterdeep Guard

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 04:47:27 AM »

I know not many people like it and I would hate it if it happened to me but rules of the battle field state your entitled to rifle your enemies pockets and take what you like, so I would be in favour of leaving the gear behind when you die, if you could return to your corpse to collect it again. Also if your in a group your comrades can collect your stuff and hold it for you until you can rejoin.

As for xp penalties, they should be light as you start out, during your low levels but get progressively harsher the higher you go and the more you die. It may lead to an eventual loss of level but if that's the case, you really want to rethink your strategy if your dying that much.

We don't use cents in Scotland, so this is my two pennies worth  Cheesy
perk31
Drizzt

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 07:36:11 AM »

Quote from: "rogare b"
I know not many people like it and I would hate it if it happened to me but rules of the battle field state your entitled to rifle your enemies pockets and take what you like, so I would be in favour of leaving the gear behind when you die, if you could return to your corpse to collect it again. Also if your in a group your comrades can collect your stuff and hold it for you until you can rejoin.

As for xp penalties, they should be light as you start out, during your low levels but get progressively harsher the higher you go and the more you die. It may lead to an eventual loss of level but if that's the case, you really want to rethink your strategy if your dying that much.

We don't use cents in Scotland, so this is my two pennies worth  Cheesy

I think the first 2 levels, maybe 3, should be excempt from the xp penalty.

rogare b
Waterdeep Guard

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 08:20:45 AM »

I'd agree the first 3 levels are free, this at least gives you a chance to build up some HP's and gather a few items to give you a chance out in the big bad world. Also means by this time you should have a reasonable idea of your characters strengths and weaknesses and just how far you can push yourself to get into enough but not too much trouble
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme by m3talc0re. Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS